Sunday, January 19, 2014

Read-A-Thon UPDATE!

Alright! So the Read-A-Thon I mentioned before officially ended on Monday, January 12. It is now the 19th, so as you can see I'm really doing a good job of keeping this blog updated! Anyhow, for the Read-A-Thon, I managed to make my way through 3 books! Yay! Given, they were relatively short, but hey, a book is a book.

1. Daisy Miller by Henry James

What I thought: I read this book off of a recommendation from my English teacher. It was very short (it was originally published in a magazine) but I got a great feel for the characters. Throughout the book, I internally struggled with whether or not I liked Daisy. True, she was naive, but I couldn't help but feel as if she knew what she was doing the whole time. I'm not saying that she purposefully tried to act in a scandalous manner, but I think she just did what she wanted, to hell with everyone else. While admirable, I'm not sure this is a 'likable' trait. It sort of reminds me of Scarlett from Gone with the Wind (a favorite book of mine), but while I didn't like Daisy (I think I've made up my mind about that) I really liked Scarlett. Probably just different circumstances and different authors. I did enjoy Henry James's writing though.

2. Go Ask Alice by Anonymous

What I thought: Well. This book was interesting. It was like watching a train wreck. I felt so bad for the Main Character, and I can no doubt say that this book's purpose was accomplished. It definatley made the effects of drug addiction seem terrifying. It was a very nice read, and for a diary it really read like a book. I suppose by calling it a diary I am getting myself into the controversy of whether or not it is fictional or a diary of a girl. I'm withholding judgement on this one. 

3. Looking for Alaska by John Green 

What I thought: What can I say? I'm a sucker for John Green. I honestly love all of his books. However, his best book in my opinion is The Fault in our Stars. But, Looking for Alaska was very good. I thought Alaska was an interesting character but I can't say I've met anyone like her in real life. I don't know if people like that do exist. The world would be a much more exciting and dangerous place if they lived in abundance, that's for sure.

So there you go! My roundup of the three books I read for the Read-A-Thon! Yay :) 

-Kirby 

No comments:

Post a Comment